Friday 17 August 2012

How about a delicious peppered seasoned fried fish for the family this holiday...here are the steps to prepare it, enjoy your holiday and thank me later **wink**



This is totally an impromptu recipe; definitely didn’t even have this in mind as the next dish to feature, but it kinda happened and I thought ‘why not make this a recipe?!’ Albeit, a partial one though, since it’s not as detailed as I’d like it to be, but it still works!
I had some cooked whiting fish in the freezer I got from my good friend that makes Ila Asepo like nobody I know. Uh huh, I grocery shop in her fridge sometimes… she rarely cooks! ‘Neways, I think she baked the fish, but you can fry if you prefer. I have another whiting fish recipe, so you can see that on how to cook the fish (just omit the flour…or not, up to you). I also added some left-over meat stew I had, if you don’t have that, just blend 1/2 of everything (red bell pepper, onion, tomatoes etc).
To make Stewed Whiting Fish, here’s what you’ll need:



6-7 pieces cooked whiting fish
1 tbsp Weber roasted garlic & herb (or any other brand)
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp Adobo (second one in above pic)
1/2 tsp Goya Adobo w/saffron
1 m yellow onion
2 plum tomatoes
4 scotch bonnet peppers
2 garlic cloves
Ginger *size of garlic cloves*
3 tbsps Canola oil
3-5 tbsps meat stew
1. After letting fish thaw, I re-heated in the microwave (if you just cooked the fish, totally skip this step).

2. Slice onions and tomatoes into rings; chop garlic and ginger; finely chop scotch bonnet peppers leaving the seeds.

3. Add oil to a large and wide fry pan, let get hot over medium heat. Add sliced onions, tomatoes, scotch bonnet peppers, garlic and ginger. Add seasonings.

4. Sautee for about 2-3 minutes till gently wilted; stir once and reduce heat if necessary.

5. Add meat stew to wilted onions etc.

6. Add fish one at a time to pan, gently turning each in the sauce till thoroughly coated.

7. Let simmer on low heat for about 2-3 minutes at most or turn off heat and just let stand covered. Annnd you’re done!

I imagine this would go very well with boiled yams or even bread, I mean the unsliced kind, with the incredibly soft center – yessss! Rice would work too; white or jollof. Eat it by itself if you wish.
It’s quite spicy, you can use less scotch bonnet peppers or take out the seeds, but I think it adds texture and character to the dish. Conversely, you can use dried red pepper or flakes, but it wouldn’t be the same I don’t think. Since the garlic & herb and adobo seasonings already have salt, there’s no need for maggi or knorr cubes.
If your meat stew already has enough seasoning, carefully gauge how much of the garlic & herb and adobo seasonings you add, so it’s not salty. You could do just the garlic & herb minus the adobo since it’s a mixed type of seasoning with a bit of most dry ingredients.
Since it’s not a ‘beginning to end’ recipe, I’ll leave you with some extra photos.





is'nt it yummy...Enjoy…

No comments:

Post a Comment